What is the Windows Registry
maybe you have heard ofRegistry, but unless you've ever been into a registry, you might be intimidated by it. Generally speaking, computer users don't need to access the registry frequently, but if your computer is running slower than usual or has registry errors, you may need to learn how to access the registry.windows The registry was cleaned in 10 and 11.
The Windows Registry is the part of your computer's operating system that contains and records almost everything on your computer. Often referred to as the "heart" of your computer, the registry stores information and settings for operating system configurations, user preferences, software programs, and hardware devices.
The longer we use our computers, the more frequently new downloads, installations, and updates are added to our computers. There's nothing wrong with downloading new programs or installing new updates, but it can end up slowing down your computer.
This is where the registry comes into play. Every program, application, driver, utility, game, and downloaded data is stored in the operating system's registry. When the registry starts overflowing with unnecessary information, it can actually cause your computer to freeze or freeze. Done correctly, cleaning the registry safely and frequently can help improve performance and prevent hangs and crashes.
How to clean the registry in Windows 10 and 11
The most important thing to remember is that the registry is a very fragile component of your computer. If you perform too many or incorrect operations, the system may cause repeated errors.appFailure to operate properly, system crash, etc., which can cause very serious consequences. Therefore, you must be careful when cleaning the registry, especially when cleaning manually.
There are several different methods you can use to clean the registry, including Windows toolandThird-party registry cleaning tools. Before trying to clean the registry,Back up data and registryCrucial. Backing up the registry can be helpful if you accidentally delete an erroneous file that is critical to your computer's functionality.
Open the Registry Editor
- Click "start” button and select “run…”.
- Enter regedit in the text input box.
- Press the "Enter" key or click the "OK" button.
Back up the registry
The Registry Editor is divided into two window panels. The left window is used to display the entire registry tree, and the right panel is used to display a single value.
- Before making any changes to the registry, firstbackupExisting registry. If you make some changes that affect or damage the operating system or installed software, this will give you an opportunity to undo the changes. (Backing up the registry is a very important step,A backup must be completed before editing the registry).
- Click the "File" menu and select "Export."
- Select All in the Export Range panel.
- Select a save path for the backup file and enter a file name.
- Click "Save".
Manually clean up registry residue
- Locate and remove the old program's registry information. Remove the registry information of all uninstalled programs in the list.
- Click the plus (+) button next to the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" key (folder icon) to expand it.
- Expand the "Software" key.
- Find the key that contains the program name or the application developer (company name).
- Highlight application keys.
- Press the "Del" key to delete it.
- Search for applications by their name, executable file name, or folder name. If you have uninstalled certain applications, please delete all information related to these programs in the registry.
- Press "Ctrl" and "f" simultaneously to open the Find dialog box.
- Enter keywords to use to find the program.
- Click OK to search. Keys or values found by the search that match the criteria should be highlighted.
- Select the highlighted key or value and press Del key to delete it.
- Press the "F3" key to find the next result that meets the conditions, and repeat the above operation to delete the information.
Remove unnecessary startup items
Delete startup items you don't want. Many commonly used programs such asadobeReaders, Quicktime players, and "Real Player" players all install a registry value that loads the program updater or similar settings so that these programs automatically start whenever you start Windows. If you want to remove these startup items:
- Using the method described above, expand the key and enter the following path: My Computer HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE MicrosoftWindowsCurrent Version.
- Highlight the "Run" key.
- Find the corresponding value in the right panel. They are shortcuts to some executable files.
- Select a value and delete it. If you don't know much about a certain value or can't guess which application it is associated with, you can search for it on Baidu or Google, or use a process search engine (such as "Process Library") to find it.
- Press the "delete key" to delete it. If you want to delete multiple messages at once, hold down the "Shift" key or the "Ctrl" key and click on the items you want to delete.
- Repeat the same operations in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER path. If an application is installed for "All Users," it will place those startup items in the "Local Machine" folder. For software installed by the current user or a single user, they will be placed in the folder of the corresponding user (User).
- Once the cleanup is complete, close the registry.
clean up Windows 10 or Windows 11 One of the easiest ways to start the registry is to startdisk cleanup. This utility comes pre-installed in the operating system and can help uninstall and clean up old and unnecessary files. Remember, Disk Cleanup actuallyWill not clean the registry directly, but it canClean and deleteThere may still be files with data in the registry. When performing a disk cleanup, registry data entries are often alsodelete. To keep your computer running smoothly and maintain performance,It's a good idea to perform disk cleanup regularly.
- according to"start "and type Disk Cleanup in the search bar
- Click on application
- Once the application opens, a window will appear, select the Windows C: drive and click OK
- After the tool completes the scan, clickClean system files
- Click OK again (this will prompt for a second scan and provide additional options)
- Once the scan is complete, you can browse for more files that can be deleted
- Click OK
Another method that can help improve registry health is Windows' DISM. according toMicrosoftIn other words, Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM.exe) is a command-line tool that can be used to service and prepare Windows images and system errors. DISM can help repair any problems that may be related to corrupted registry keys and can greatly reduce registry problems on your computer.
Third-party software applications
If you are worried about causing trouble by manually cleaning the Windows 10 or Windows 11 registry, then using a third-party registry cleaning application is a very wise choice, saving a lot of effort on your own research and ensuring that the registry cleaning is safe and effective. Something like Cleaner One ProRegistry cleaning softwareSafely clean the Windows registry to improve computer performance. We encourage everyone to run the Windows Registry Cleaner after using the computer for a while, but it's crucial when slowdowns or other problems are noticeable.
- Download and install Cleaner one pro from Microsoft Store
- Run Cleaner One Pro
- In the main panel, click Registry
- Scan and clean invalid registry files.
The above are some methods to clean the registry. If you clean the registry manually, it is recommended that you be cautious. If you feel unsure, it is recommended to directly use automatic cleaning software such as cleaner one pro to maintain the stability and stable performance of the system.